Wednesday, May 23, 2012

You Wont Like Me When Im ITCHY


So, an update on my lady parts is in order (there’s a sentence I never thought I’d write.) Here is the breakdown
Sunday Night- EXTREME ITCHING, POISON IVY (PI) EDITION
Monday- MORE ITCHING I stupidly went to my lunchtime spin class. Let’s put that on the list of stubborn and dumb things I’ve done. I was highly anticipating some relief from my 2:00pm doctor’s appointment. At the doctor’s office they gave me a steroid shot of depomedrol. I thanked the nurse and she said she’d never been thanked for a shot before. But, I was in bad shape and anticipating that the shot would bring relief.

They also wrote me a prescription for 6 days of prednisone (another steroid) on a step down program- 60mg the first day, 50mg the second day and so on. Finally, the doctor told to take a Benadryl to sleep so I wouldn't itch in the night. I went back to work after my appointment and was so itchy and miserable I went home early. That night I took the Benadryl, went to bed and woke myself up THREE TIMES itching! Thanks for nothing depomedrol.
Tuesday- I woke up and took 60 mg of prednisone and Oh. Sweet. Relief. I felt better within an hour!



Wednesday- I’m on the mend! Itching down to almost nothing and I haven’t turned into the Hulk from all of the steroids…yet.
I think the worst of it is behind us, Michael found a spot of PI on his ankle, so we are still playing it safe. So that’s that. Three cheers for Prednisone- Hip Hip Hooray!

Have you ever had a rash or injury in a delicate place? Were you too embarrassed to tell people, or did you let them in on the secret?

2 comments:

  1. Great!! I learned a valuable lesson today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had Poison Ivy all over my face. Hard to keep that one a secret. Actually it was pretty much all over my body. I had a hand print of poison ivy on my stomach. http://www.flickr.com/photos/thunderenlightenin/7257666442/in/photostream

    The prednisone might make you irritable but other than that won't do much to hurt you. I found Advil helped a lot with inflammation. Also the more you can let the area 'breath' and the more you can dry out the bumps - rubbing alcohol, calamine lotion etc. - the less likely it will be to keep spreading. Also try to avoid raising your body temperature or getting hot at all. That makes it so much worse. Poison Ivy is the worst. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete